--- On Thu, 6/10/10, Andrew M.A. Cater <amaca...@galactic.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Think :) - This is by design, particularly if you consider
> the use of network install media.

Yep, that's what got me thinking... if I plug the Ethernet cord in BEFORE
booting up, what happens then? Problem solved!

> 1. Rare case now - you have no network at all. All
> installation must be done from CDs / DVDs. The apt sources
> list points to the DVD install media by default (You have
> nothing else, right?).

No. As I wrote: (bold added)

If you boot up a fresh install of Debian & AFTER you boot up, plug in your
Ethernet cable & try to add software, Debian asks for the install disk. --> IF
YOU PLUG IN ETHERNET *BEFORE* YOU BOOT UP IT (Package Manager) WILL LOOK ONLINE
FOR SOFTWARE <--

Don't mean to shout, but I was clearly not clear! A few people didn't
understand what I meant.