Additional information:  looking in the error log, I see that I did in fact
get this error the last time I tried to print:

E [14/Jun/2010:22:35:43 -0700] Returning IPP
client-error-not-authorized for Print-Job
(ipp://localhost:631/printers/Mrs.Cat) from localhost

This looks like a configuration error (in cupsd.conf?), but for the life of
me I don't know how to fix it.

-PT