On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 04:05:57PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 17:28:45 +0200, lee wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 01:43:49PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> >> And how do you suspend to disk? By pressing a button, running a
> >> script...? You said in your first writing that "(sic) after suspending
> >> to disk during the night and resuming..." you were having problems to
> >> restore, so how did you triggered suspension? :-?
> >
> > As I said in a previous posting, I used:
> >

> > # echo  8589934592 > /sys/power/image_size
> > # echo platform > /sys/power/disk; echo disk > /sys/power/state
>
> Where did you get that steps to hibernate? :-?

It's in the kernel dokumentation, see Documentation/power/swsusp.txt.

> > Mow I'm wondering what to use instead.
>
> "man pm-action" will tell.

Thanks! What's the difference between pm-hibernate and above method?
Since the relevant directories under /etc are empty, there doesn't
seem to be anything special getting done when using pm-hibernate.

> >> /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/README.Debian
> >
> > "
> > The s2ram tool allows you to suspend the system to RAM and restore the
> > state of the graphics adapter after the resume automatically.  For this
> > purpose it uses the code out of vbetool and radeontool utilities, needed
> > for handling quite a lot of graphics cards after the resume from RAM. "
>
> It seems you are reading the wrong paragrah... you should be interested
> in "s2disk", instead >:-)

Yes, but doesn't the same apply when suspending to disk? The
appropriate state of the graphics card has to be recreated in both
cases.

> > /etc/pm/ is only a directory containing other directories.
>
> "man pm-action" then :-)

Yeah, see above, what's the difference making pm-hibernate more
reliable than what the kernel documentation suggests?

> > Do I have to take it that there's no Debian way of suspending to disk
> > (unless you use gnome maybe)?
>
> Why? Just take it as you need to read the docs, test and try.

Well, I'm trying to figure it out and to get it working reliable, but
I don't really know which docs to read.

> > It's a feature that should work out of the
> > box, like another option for the shutdown command ("shutdown -std now",
> > for example, to suspend to disk) ...
>
> Yes, but power management is managed different on every DE. In fact,
> hibernation and suspension can fail on many systems as not every piece of
> hardware has been previously tested and certified to perform well with
> such actions :-/

Meaning that it might not work at all with my hardware ...