On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:18:42 +0200, Andreas Janssen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hello

Ian Silvester (<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:46:41 +0200, Andreas Janssen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Ian Silvester (<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

I am running Woody with a 2.4.20 kernel and acpi installed.

When I try to install kppp or am-utils (for example) using Package
Manager or apt-get, I get the following error:

acpi: Depends: libc6 (>=2.3.1-1) but 2.2.5-11.5 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
specify a solution).

The acpi package was not built for woody. Where does it come from?

I obtained it via the ACPI HOWTO - there is a link in it to a .deb which is a Woody kernel + ACPI.

[...]

libc6 2.2.5-11 is the version from woody, 2.3.1 is newer.

I begin to understand my problem; APT does not like finding a newer libc6. This is a laptop installation, where power management is a must. The APM built into Woody was inadequate; all signs pointed toward ACPI.

I guess the question now becomes; how to I convince APT to accept a
newer libc6? Is that possible? Would the 'clean', 'update', upgrade'
or dist-upgrade' options help me? Having read the man pages I am
loath to run them without another individual suggesting that it would
be a good idea!

The acpi package was not built for your system. It probably was built for testing or unstable. Replacing a basic package like libc6 would not be a good idea. Instead, try to find an acpi package that was built for libc6 in woody, for example at <http://www.apt-get.org>, or see if you can recompile the package from source.

Thanks for the good advice Andreas. I made the mistake of assuming the acpi package was the entire acpi system (very foolish since of course its compiled into the kernel!) and so was trying to find ways to keep it installed. Since I've realised all it does is report acpi statuses, I don't actually need it at all!

apt-get -f install

cleaned things up nicely, removing the offending package, and I'm now installing the packages I'm after with no problems :o)

Thanks again for your help,

yan