Sorry to follow up on my own message, but did some more thinking about
the problem.

I'm asking Exim4 to send a message to another user having the same
domain name. So does this mean exim searches for that user locally
rather than ship the message off to my provider's mail server?

In my previous message, I went though exim configuration, where at
certain points I changed the local domain to the domain. Was this a
mistake in one or two cases. A local domain in one or two
configuration questions  might tell exim that the message is not for a
user on its own machine or network, and so it would be routed to my
provider's mail server?

Just a thought.

Haines Brown