On 9/9/10, Csanyi Pal <csanyi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have installed amongs others following fonts:
> otf-freefont
> ttf-freefont
> ttf-unifont
> xfonts-100dpi
> xfonts-100dpi-transcoded
> xfonts-75dpi
> xfonts-75dpi-transcoded
> xfonts-base
> xfonts-biznet-100dpi
> xfonts-biznet-75dpi
> xfonts-biznet-base
> xfonts-bolkhov-75dpi
> xfonts-bolkhov-cp1251-75dpi
> xfonts-bolkhov-cp1251-misc
> xfonts-bolkhov-misc
> xfonts-cyrillic
> xfonts-encodings
> xfonts-intl-european
> xfonts-mathml
> xfonts-scalable
> ttf-bitstream-vera
> ttf-dejavu
> ttf-dejavu-core
> ttf-dejavu-extra
> ttf-liberation
> ttf-lyx
> ttf-opensymbol
> ttf-sil-gentium
> ttf-sil-gentium-basic
> ttf-unifont
>
> In Xorg.0.log i can find only following fonts loaded:
> (==) FontPath set to:
>         /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
>         /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic,
>         /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,
>         /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled,
>         /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
>         /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,
>         /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,
>         /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType,
>         built-ins
>
> On Squeeze there doesn't any xorg.conf needed and I want not use it, so
> how can I setup font paths for installed fonts?

How do you know you're missing fonts?  I think /usr/share
fonts/X11/misc, should include most othe ones non 100* and 75*, while
most of the true type ones should be included under the defoma path.

Could you run "xlsfonts" under X, and see if you're missing any?

Other than that it depends, on debian I have no problems with fonts at
all, but on RH virtual machines at work, where I don't have root
access, and want terminus for example, I have in my .xinitrc:

fc-cache -fv
xset fp+ "/h/vasqueja/share/fonts/terminus"
xset fp+ "/h/vasqueja/share/fonts/artwiz"
xset fp rehash
fc-cache

For some applications "xset fp+ <font_path>" is enough, and for others
running fc-cache commands are enough.  To make them work for all
applications I need both, :-)

--
Javier.