On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 06:01:55PM -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> In short:
>
> I have ssh set up on two systems so I can ssh from one to the other.  My
> id_rsa.pub in ~/.ssh on my system is copied into ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on
> the remote system.  I can ssh from local to remote with no issue and it's
> configured so authentication does not use passwords, but uses the RSA ID.
> This works perfectly.  "ssh remote" gets me logged in immediately.
>
> I can rsync to the other machine.  Using "rsync localfile
> tnet-web::threshNet-Public" works fine and the file is transferred.  BUT when
> I try to use rsync over ssh, it will NOT work.
>

> A bit more of an explanation:
>
> The problem is that when I try
>
> rsync localfile -vvvv --rsh=ssh ...
> or
> rsync localfile -vvvv -e"ssh -l myname" ...
>
> (Yes, same stuff as before with the ...)
>
> Then I get errors:
>
> using the -e option gives me this:
>
> rsync: -rsh=ssh: unknown option
> _exit_cleanup(code=1, file=/SourceCache/rsync/rsync-40/rsync/main.c,
> line=1333): entered
> rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at
> /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-40/rsync/main.c(1333) [client=2.6.9]
> _exit_cleanup(code=1, file=/SourceCache/rsync/rsync-40/rsync/main.c,
> line=1333): about to call exit(1)
>

> using --rsh gives me this:
>
> cmd=ssh machine=tnet-web user= path=threshNet-Public
> cmd[0]=ssh cmd[1]=tnet-web cmd[2]=rsync cmd[3]=--server cmd[4]=--daemon
> cmd[5]=.
> opening connection using ssh tnet-web rsync --server --daemon .
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
> _exit_cleanup(code=12, file=/SourceCache/rsync/rsync-40/rsync/io.c,
> line=452): entered
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
> /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-40/rsync/io.c(452) [sender=2.6.9]
> _exit_cleanup(code=12, file=/SourceCache/rsync/rsync-40/rsync/io.c,
> line=452): about to call exit(12)
>
> I have config files for rsyncd.conf and sshd_conf included below my signature.
>
> Both programs work separately, but if I try rsync over ssh, it simply does
> not work.
>
> Any suggestions?

I think you are mixing/confusing the 2 rsync methods.  One is the rsyncd
daemon.  To rsync to an rsyncd daemon, you use two colons after the
hostname, like this

rsync localfile tnet-web::threshNet-Public

This tranfers everything in the clear.  Last I checked, there was no
built-in method to transfer over ssh using the daemon.  You could set up
an SSL or SSH tunnel to do that.

The other method of using rsync is with a single colon, like this

rsync localfile tnet-web:threshNet-Public

This automatically uses ssh for transfer, but it requires a few things.

1)  your user must have an account on tnet-web
2)  threshNet-Public is a folder inside your user's home directory on
tnet-web
3)  it does not require an rsyncd.conf file, and doesn't look at it even
if you have one.

Hope that helps.

-Rob