Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.med...@gmail.com> writes:

>>> In rsync manual I coudn't find a solution to what I want.  I wish to copy
>>> all my home directory into another machine with the --delete option, but:
>>>
>>> 1) I dont't want hidden files, i.e.: `.*' to be copied;
>>>
>>> 2) on the other hand, there are some symlinks, beginning with `.', that I
>>>    want to be copied.
>>>
>>> The --exclude option won't help.
>>>
>>> From my home directory, if I do:
>>>
>>>  $ rsync -vrtul --delete * 192.168.0.2:/home/rodolfo
>>>
>>> , hidden files that are in `~/' are not copied at all nor the --delete
>>> option applies to files that are in `~/', so it's not good; from /home, if
>>> I do:
>>>
>>>  $ rsync -vrtul --delete rodolfo 192.168.0.2:/home
>>>
>>> , everything is copied, also system hidden directories and files, which I
>>> don't want.
>>

>> I mean, I want hidden files to be copied, except than
>> those in `~/': of those, i.e. of the hidden files in `~/', I just want the
>> symlinks to be copied.

I think it's better to create the symlinks by hand, as they can be different
when going from a system to another.  Then the following is good for me:

 $ cd
 $ rsync -vrtul --delete --exclude='.*' . 192.168.0.2:/home/rodolfo

The main issue here is that I had to replace `*' with `.' as the list of files
to be transferred.

Thanks for anyone's help.
Rodolfo