On 9/22/2010 3:14 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
That may be true for some virtualization software, but not for all.
My "day job" is as a system programmer for IBM mainframe systems,
and among my duties is responsibility for a z/VM system.  In z/VM,
nested virtualization is not difficult, pointless, or unstable.  I routinely
install a new release of z/VM in a virtual machine running under
the production release of z/VM, for example.  There's even instructions
in IBM's installation manuals for how to do this.

This is the exception that proves the rule. I still think that doing it under an AMD64 or Intel x86_64 is probably futile under the current state-of -the-art.

I know it's been done under a XEN hypervisor. I don't know about Virtualbox. If you do it and it's stable, like I asked another poster in another thread, please write a HOWTO and show everyone how it's done.

I am aware of the old MVS and all that, running DOS and CMS and so on all at the same time, but I'm a decade too young to have any experience with that. All I can say I've done is write COBOL and JCL with Report Writer under WYLBUR for a class.