On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 00:39:21 -0500
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <b...@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:

> In <20100923212652.3496e...@windy.deldotd.com>, bri...@aracnet.com
> wrote:
> >On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 20:45:37 -0700
> ><bri...@aracnet.com> wrote:
> >> Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead
> >
> >doh!  strong evidence that it's the flash plugin.  damn, I really
> >should take my own advice.
> >
> >oooooh, how I hate flash.....
>
> Uninstall Adobe Flash, clear all your cookies, install Gnash and its
> Mozilla plugin, and try it out.  It's relatively painless to move
> back if it doesn't suit your needs.[1]  Gnash in testing is supposed
> to have 100% of YouTube.com videos working, and some other sites use
> similar enough video embedding that they work as well.
>
> If it doesn't work in Gnash, I simply do without it.  But, even if
> your desire for flash contest exceeds your dedication to Free
> Software, it is worth a try. I imagine the Gnash maintainers are
> actually more interested resolving issues on Debian (and other Free
> OSes) than Adobe.
>
> [1] Just reverse the process -- uninstall Gnash, clear your cookies,
> reinstall Adobe Flash.

Thanks to you and Scott for the advice.

I've removed flash and that seems to have fixed the problem.  Hasn't
crashed in quite a while.  The SO wants flash so I put it in her home
directory .mozilla/plugins.  She is not as heavy a tab user.  the
strange thing is that she _does_ use tabs, and hasn't seen this
happen.  This is very interesting since I see it die quite often.

One very interesting detail is that I have two X sessions up and
running, mine and hers, with mine on set-up using

  startx -- :1

I wonder if that has something to do with it...