Dne, 27. 09. 2010 17:00:10 je Mark Goldshtein napisal(a):

As I may see, power saving features are working already. Laptop mode
tools are not installed. Probably, there is something which controls
these functions already? I mean, CPU governor, what to do if lid is
closing, display dimmer, suspend, hibernate and so on.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that:
-- having Gnome desktop environment installed, laptop-mode-tools are redundant, since Gnome is already managing all the power-saving features you may need
-- brigthess (and other) Fn keys on laptops are highly dependent on:
        a) the specific kernel used, and
        b) the video driver used.

For example, in my specific case (HP 6715b laptop, with ATI card and proprietary fglrx driver, running stock Debian Lenny 2.6.26-2 kernel) Fn keys work seamlessly, but the LCD backlight can never be switched off; when power saving kicks in, the display goes black (no image displayed), but the LCD doesn't actually switch off, it's still backlighted. When I run with the open source driver, vice versa, the LCD backlight can be made to switch off, but some of the Fn keys -- notably, the brightness keys -- don't work.

That said, I'd *unconditionally* recommend the free driver if you can do without the additional proprietary features, such as accelerated 3D (which is of limited use on GNU/Linux anyway), because: -- the free (open-source) driver is the only driver you can reasonably expect to get debugged in time; proprietary developers have other priorities, such as Windows drivers, new "features", keeping up with the competition, meeting deadlines; and -- the closed-source driver introduces instability into your system; when glitches or crashes occur, open-source developers can't do zilch, while the proprietary developers ... well, be my guest, try to make them iron out the bug ... ;P

--
Regards,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801