On 10/19/2010 07:59 AM, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
Rodolfo Medina<rodolfo.med...@gmail.com>  writes:

However, I have now another problem: after cleaning the heads, the print
quality remains bad.  They told me it may depend on the heads dried or maybe
broken.  In any case, they told that the printer needs being taken to an
assistence centre.

Any suggestion about that?

It seems that I need a new printer: where can I find a list of all the printers
that are known to be compatible with Debian Lenny?

Bye
Rodolfo

Hi, Rodolfo.

In addition to considering the compatibility of a printer with your OS you might want to consider its design compatibility with your printing needs.

The issue you ran into with your Epson not being able to clear its print heads effectively is one I've run into before. If you use an inkjet printer only sporadically you may be best served by buying an inkjet printer design which replaces the print heads along with the Ink cartridges. This makes the replacement cartridges much more expensive, but it means you get new print heads when you replace the cartridges.

If your needs can be handled by a b&w or color laser printer, that's even better. Laser printers cost more up front, but mine have more than paid for the cost differential with inkjet printers in the lower long-range cost of operation. (Laser printer cartridges cost a lot, but the last much, much longer than inkjet cartridges.)

All of this is generally speaking, of course. And I haven't even mentioned print quality. Each brand has its adherents. I'm happy as long as I can read the print, and I'm delighted if it actually looks pretty.

I think that you'll find that HP printers of various kinds are generally better supported in GNU/Linux.

Good luck!