lee <lee <at> yun.yagibdah.de> writes:

Hi lee

Thank you for your notes!

My envision for this tutorial is a guy like me, a bit curious and very
enthusiast about Linux, but not an expert at all ;-) This guy and his
wife both have a desktop PC, a laptop, a few email accounts and lots
of files and they want to have everything in one centralized place.

I know, a NAS would be enought, bu did I mention I'm a curious and very
enthusiast guy about Linux ;-) ?

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 01:59:42PM +0000, Pinguim Ribeiro wrote:
> >
> > In a easy to follow way (you can copy and paste all you need) this
> > site will
> > guide you step by step through:
>
> There doesn´t seem to be more than the "before you begin" and
> installation part 1 and part 2?

Yes, for the moment, I just set up the site and wrote the installer guide.
Soon I'll continue to publish other sections. The site will always be a work in
progress: I'll add more and more features over time.

My model is the previous 'Debian lenny server' site at
http://servidorlenny.wikidot.com/servidor-debian-lenny. It's in Portuguese but
you can check out the toc on the right side.

> There´s no mentioning about setting up RAID and reasonably

This guide is just for newbies ( like me ;-) ). The idea is to keep it very
simple. But maybe in the near future I'll write a tutorial about-it.

> recommend not to use DHCP but --- if provided by some router --- to
> turn it off in the router and to do all network configuration in the
> LAN manually.

That will be the next section: 'Network Configuration' with static IP address,
DNS and DHCP server, etc.

> you might want to consider to use the server as a firewall and
> router. This would be a topic that could be discussed in the "before

For the moment, I'll rely on the router/DSL/Cable modem for that. Most of them
have some sort of firewall set up.

> There doesn´t seem to be a section planned about compiling the
> kernel. Though it´s possible to use a kernel out of the box, the

Yes, for the moment I have no plans for a kernel compilation tutorial.

> One mistake that ppl starting to use Linux often seem to make is
> demanding that everything they can think of somehow magically starts
> to work all by itself. They have no idea about how much there is to
> learn about every aspect, and they don´t realize that they will have
> to do the learning, how time consuming that will be, how much effort
> it takes and how annoying it can be. Instead, they get frustrated
> quickly.

You are absolutely right on that point. Growing pains are inevitable.
Some people gave up, some don't. But everybody can learn a lot with it.
My hope is that this guide will make (at least) a few people to try
and became more curious about the Linux world and eager to learn more
about it.

> Any guide giving even the slightest suggestion that they could easily
> and reasonably set up and administrate a server as complex as you
> envision would mislead them. Trying to give them an idea of what they
> are eventually about to get into and that they need to make one very
> small step after another rather than demanding that everything has to
> work right now is something I´d tell them even before the "before you
> begin" section.

Again I agree with you. This guide is a step by step guide but it must be
clarified at the beginning. Do you have any suggestions on how to do that
section?

Many thanks once again for your help and support!

Best regards
Fernando Ribeiro