On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 01:45:18 -0500
Stan Hoeppner <s...@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

Hello Stan,

> office supply places I purchased them from never used any words like
> "compatible" or "non OEM".  They just said "Oki 182 ribbon".  No

Like you, I used cheap ribbons for my printers.  At least, I did ffor a
while.  However, IME,they actually ended up costing me as much as the
bespoke part.  This was due to the ink lasting nowhere near as long
inthe cheap ribbons as that used by (in my case) Epson on their ribbons.
Similarly, cheap inkjet cartridges often don't have as good coverage as
higher priced alternatives.  Also, the colour can look crap.

There's a dictum applied to hardware; fast, cheap, reliable - pick any
two.  When it comes to printer inks, I reckon that becomes; cheap, long
lasting, good colour - pick any two.

If one is happy to live with the compromise then all is well.  For some
people that compromise is not an option.  Those doing photo
reproduction, for example.

Finally, some manufacturers will void their warranty if you use non
pattern parts/inks.  HP do, certainly.

--
 Regards  _
I'd hate to look into those eyes and see an ounce of pain