On 11/08/2010 03:18 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Paul Cartwright put forth on 11/8/2010 12:05 PM:
>
>> I already have a static IP from my ISP, Atlantic Nexus. I CAN do email
>> from them, but there are problems with people & ISPs that will not
>> accept email from static IPs with no "Domain host" behind them.. what am
>> I missing..
> I think you're misunderstanding the technology and terminology.  Dynamic
> or static IP refers to the type of IP address assignment to your
> broadband router, whether DSL or cable.  It's the public IP in your
> house, for the lack of a more technical description.
no, my Static IP is from my ISP
> Who is your broadband provider?  Is your IP from them static or dynamic?
>  Either way you can still host your own mail server.  It's just easier
> if it's static.
my ISP is Atlantic Nexus, atnex.net they provided the static IP.. $5 a
month:)

>> that IS my goal.. getting IMAP working was a good leap in the right
>> direction.
>> Last time I dropped my domain provider & tried to host it myself, I
>> didn't have the "infrastructure" in place.. DNS, MX...
>> I thought you need two IPs for MX records. or am I confusing things.(again)
> If doing DNS yourself, you need two physical machines to host the zones,
> a master and a slave, with a public IP address bound to each, each
> accessible from the internet.
THAT's the part I don't have.. I only have a single static IP...

> An MX record is simply a record that says "deliver email for domain.tld
> to smtp.domain.tld".  smtp.domain.tld is an A record that points to the
> IP address of your router.  You map TCP port 25 on the router to the
> private IP address of your Postfix server.  That's pretty much it.
right, port forwarding.. I do that now for my web server..

> Frankly speaking, trying to setup and operate your own DNS servers would
> cost you more in time and treasure than simply paying for DNS service.
> As I stated earlier, I pay $5/month for DNS service with TZO (paid
> yearly).  The service they sell is dynamic dns service geared toward
> residential broadband users, much like dyndns.org.  The big difference
> WRT dyndns.org is that you use your own real domain name, which enables
> you to run your own MX host, i.e. inbound mail server.
>
> The only thing required is a TZO enabled router, or software running on
> a Linux or Windows server.  This is what sends your dynamic IP address
> to the DNS servers when your ISP changes it.  It works very well.  I've
> been a customer since 2005 and not had a single issue, either when I had
> dynamic IP service or static IP service.  Setup is very easy, if you
> have basic knowledge of DNS.  If you don't, Google and this list are
> your friends. :)
the reason I GOT a static IP was just for a mail server.. That's why I
got the dyndns domain, to play with it, get it working, THEN move my
real domain.. never got that far because of the lack of 2 DNS servers..
so what you are saying is, I could do it with a DNS hosting service like
TZO. So I would trade my domain hosting fee for a DNS hosting fee, and
have all my emails come DIRECTLY to my local server ( do not pass
go:)..  on TZO all I see is services with a dynamic IP, or maybe I am
missing it.. I do have a static IP, I DO I do I do :)

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800