Tom,

Setting up connection sharing is very easy in Windows.  Just look at the help
topic internet connection sharing which should take you through it.  I
haven't used it since an early version of Windows 2000.  Generally windows
will set up the gateway machine on 192.168.0.1 and the gateway will function
as a dhcp server for the network.

I know XP now incorporates some sort of firewall which you can activate, but I
believe it is fairly basic.  I don't know how or whether you can do
port-forwarding.

I agree that a firewall router type appliance would be preferable.
Alternately, if you have an old unused machine around smoothwall or mitel
server (formerly e-smith) and similar solutions also do a good job.  However,
I bear in mind the possibility that your friend will not be keen on
reconfiguring his whole network.

regards,

Darryl