Good day.

I can not start Xserver on an old machine - that w/ Pentium-I CPU. -
Monitor just turns off its screen as soon as the Xserver starts -
booting I see. Also, I can switch between console and X-session
(monitor turns off its screen when I switch to X - and turns on when
to console) - therefore, it runs - I conclude - but no image.

The last lines in its log I have:

(**) Generic Keyboard: XkbOptions: "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
(**) Generic Keyboard: CustomKeycodes disabled
(II) evaluating device (<default pointer>)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "<default pointer>" (type:
MOUSE) (II) evaluating device (Generic Keyboard)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Generic Keyboard" (type:
KEYBOARD) (--) <default pointer>: PnP-detected protocol: "ExplorerPS/2"
(II) <default pointer>: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
[config/hal] couldn't initialise context: (null) ((null))

I installed the X-server components from myself - having basic
(necessary to work in console) packages installed and OS running. -
Therefore, I suppose some essential man is not there. - Though I
believe, a X-session I have to see.

I did not install it from meta package installing everything. But I
have the vcards packages - including mine vcard - S3Trio -
xserver-xorg-video-s3.

All I have in xorg.conf is this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us,ru"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
EndSection

#Section "InputDevice"
#       Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
#       Driver          "mouse"
#EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
EndSection