on Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 10:51:11AM -0700, Bill Moseley ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Sorry if this is old news.
>
> One more reason not to like Verisign:
>
> http://slashdot.org/articles/03/09/16/0034210.shtml?tid=126&tid=95&tid=98&tid=99
>
> So Verisign added DNS wildcards for .com and .net -- No wonder I started
> getting more spam lately -- my checks for a valid domains were disabled
> by Verisign's action.
>
> I see fixes on Exim's list for exim4.  Looks like it's finally time for
> me to install exim4 on my Stable machines.  Unless someone has an Exim3
> suggestion.
>
> Wildcard resolving at TLD seems like a really bad idea and taking
> advantage of their position.

This poses a wonderful opportunity.

Verisign has just donated its bandwidth and DNS resolving infrastructure
to the task of seeding databases with large numbers of valid (resolving)
and deliverable (SMTP response) domains, for which the validity rule is
simply:  a domain must end in .com or .net.

I'm attaching a pair of scripts which can be used to populate the
namespace so defined, for anyone who cares to use and host output.  This
is a fairly naive implmentation, I'm looking at more sophisticated
generators working from dictionaries and name lists.

Output quality is good -- from over 2 million generated values, there
are no duplicates.  Total possible namespace exceeds 18 quadrillion
(18*10^15) values.  Generation time on a P4 1.7 GHz system for 1m
records is ~360 minutes.

I've posted sample output reachable from the "Verisign" links at the
bottom of my homepage (see sig).

It might be amusing to investigate the results of serial spidering
through addresses generated through such means.

</wink>

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
    SCO is the thief who puts a gun to his own head and says give me
    your money or I'll shoot.
    -- Bruce Perens  http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=56225&&cid=5456337
hg?Wko6W5)[EMAIL
PROTECTED]@"[$ǡ5*םے(E~(lDN<{8ވ8oP<ZX6Θ6ˏTU܂(AwUq?"-|?8ME
Mxh,\kHMr5"           _it,ٌNN_~TڽDU%fီ$
HlYcZUY.UKA2LZr
[EMAIL
PROTECTED]".e2dƨDTJJrbi1Cs0u%)3&O3TZsiE+T'LΒE
Qs"Zj,P[|y`+HgSH '
J5+3Rj<[EMAIL PROTECTED],`X%f9+ʅ8K2 .
za4        ðߏAR#&9_*D/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]&GvYNWdUf|t-e\3dJ/(2V3ĺ_ xnҨ26C,W5z
"q#yߙQ0s.g6PQQtļ))R1!Sk!g!)(&H|kɬ8d
_闐qn摃E5WЏ&Upn      p{=:W.s~vxM⸀
x"QiQVeƗOH0Iϯk׾)5^G5i[4UW9ps%r57^zW*<᧋w(~:r9kdxœ!xz__ӆx?4%dNʂ`Ƙ*ڍKCsɑja>f8\`Ifڹ*lƯ
^'oc5l\j
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]|>FLXR}˼2W6=ٴuheO#
KV(ŵSɄy9j,0$_*U^۟;
!+]2pQgZTҫɳNeyTъ}w[]s{BF
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>1^ܽ1([EMAIL
PROTECTED]<bi>ݻsy|vvcZvvk&q?4H#4H#4H#4H#4L"ʿ(