I switched between xdm and gdm, and the problem with unresponsive window manager and locked in focused window seems to go away with that, though I am not totally sure. Inbetween, it worked with gdm for a short time, but on the second try I started a terminal window and iceweasel/firefox in quick succession from the panel, and afterwards could not switch or move windows or use the panel again for some time.
Now I have configured xdm as default window manager and until now there have
not been any problems.
The virtual console problem is still there, I guess there is some problem with the 16:9 geometry there, but I have no idea where to start searching.

--
peter koellner <pe...@asgalon.net>