I've been using make-kpkg to build my new kernel,playing around with
2.6.0-test2. (aside: Thanks to all who responded to my earlier request
for help.I've got a bootable 2.6.0-test built, but now I need to play
with the config a bit and figure out what's causing some of the errors
during boot; at least it hasn't crashed in about 24 hrs so far, though).

Anyway, as I play with the config parameters, I'd like to be able to
create kernel packages with different names to help keep track of what's
what. This is helpful by labelling packages with the build date, and
also with some info, esp as I will eventually build a package for a
different architecture as well (I'm going to swap my MSI
motherboard/Athlon process for a new ASUS MB and P4, and I'd like to
prebuild the kernel and have it ready to boot).

Anyway, I started out by using:
fakeroot make-kpkg append-to-version=.20030915 kernel_image
because I first did the build on 9/15. Now, if I try to issue
fakeroot make-kpkg append-to-version=.20030917 kernel_image, I get an
error message telling me that the changelog wants to build
vmlinuz-2.6.0-test2.20030915 "but I thought I was building
vmlinuz-2.6.0-test2.20030917"

I was expecting that I could keep using make-kpkg in a given linux
source tree and change the append-to-version on each build, but
obviously I don't understand something important about make-kpkg. The
man page isn't really helping me out here.

Can anyone shed some light?

THanks.

nl