> If one is so power consumption conscious to be suckered into a Green
> (EARS) drive, then one needs to realize the CPU dissipates about 10
> times the wattage/heat of a hard drive.  Thus, concentrate your power

I have no idea what makes you so angry against "green" drives.
But I can assure you there are very good reasons to use them:
- lower power consumption (and no: not all CPUs use 10x more power.
  Think of home-routers or atom-based systems).
- less heat (so you can put more drives in the same machine, or push
  your CPU a bit more, or turn down your fans).
- less noise (the main motivation for me).
- survive more sleep cycles, so you can let them spin down just like
  laptop drives (after all, they are pretty much like laptop drives,
  except larger capacity and cheaper).
Maybe none of those things matter to your situation, of course, but heat
is the big issue for many computer systems, so it's not nearly as rare
as you may think.

        Stefan