Dne, 14. 01. 2011 09:24:32 je Chris Jones napisal(a):
I'm in the last stages of migrating my (mostly legacy) stuff to a newer
laptop and cannot get mplayer to work as well as I had hoped on debian
lenny.

On my previous system with an old ATI Mach64, I specified the XVideo
output driver and was getting pretty decent results.

On the new system, with a fairly current nvidia video card, and the
default ‘nv’ free driver, only the sound appears to work when I stream
TV news channels or play .flv videos.

It may be that the nv driver you use is simply slower than the proprietary nvidia driver. See http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Installation-1 for installing the proprietary nvidia driver from the Debian repositories.

Hoping that this might be a simple case of debian ’lenny’ being too old
for my hardware and that I only needed to be patient and the problem
would take care of itself, I proceeded to boot into debian ‘squeeze’,
but unfortunately, I got the exact same results as on lenny: no video
with ‘xv’, very choppy sound with ‘sdl’, and xvinfo outputs the same
three messages as above.

Unless you have very specific needs, Squeeze is the way to go on a laptop machine. A more recent kernel, more hardware is supported, ext4 filesystem, and so on. There is really no reason to stick with Lenny in your case as far as I can see (but the decision is yours, of course).

I am not really keen on installing the ‘nvidia’ driver on the debian
systems,

You can say that again.

but on the other hand, it would be nice to be able to take
a quick look at the news and such without having to reboot..

Is this situation to be expected, or is there any way I could get this
to work?

I'm afraid it's the former. Freedom never comes cheap (i.e. without sacrifice).

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.