In <pan.2011.01.22.15.39...@gmail.com>, Camaleón wrote:
>On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 16:14:31 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> In <pan.2011.01.21.12.44...@gmail.com>, Camaleón wrote:
>>>Using cookies for tracking/
>>>identifying the user's session can be replaced with another methods or
>>>can require additional security measures for verifying the authenticity
>>>of the client.
>>>
>> Do you have a concrete proposal that is simpler than using HTTPS?
>
>I wish I had.. sessions carried at server side, hidden fields in forms or
>variable uri encoding were the common methods used in the past.
>
>Cookies are insecure by their own nature and fail to provide a proven
>mechanism for uniquely identifying users. You can "hide" (by encrypting
>the file) the content of the cookie and you'll avoid remote side
>hijacking when someone is sniffing the connection, but the root of
>problem still remains: should the "hijacker" has physical access to the
>computer I guess he can also impersonate the login session (someone in
>the know may want to correct this statement).
>
>Or just think about removable flash drive devices with portable versions
>of the browsers; the owner logins into his online account (facebook,
>gmail, whatever...), check the "remember me" option and keeps the full
>session encrypted via https (not just the login part). Another user with
>access to the flash drive could copy the whole content of the data and re-
>use (hijack) the cookie that holds the session id.

Cookies that allow the user to bypass a security measure are often
aggressively timed out and/or cleared server-side, preventing this from
happening in practice unless the first user authorizes it.

Physical access to the same hardware in a roughly 5 minute window also allows
one to impersonate another user on a Kerberos network; that's not generally
considered insecure.

>What I was trying to expose here is that http is a protocol designed
>mostly for single-user sessions in mind and todays online services are
>powerful enough to require enhanced security measures that current http
>protocol specs are not always ready to provide. With cookies, we're
>applying "patches/bypasses" but not a definite solution to the problem.

Does a session need to last longer than a TCP/IP connection?  If so, the sides
would have to exchange session identifiers in a way that is quite similar to
using cookies.  For details look how SSL/TLS allows reusing an existing
session on a new TCP/IP connection.

There might be a better solution, but it would look very similar to cookie use
under a well-considered cookie policy.

>Maybe is just we are not using the "right" tool for the job...

If a session only needs to last for the length of a TCP/IP connection, then we
are almost certainly using the wrong approach, but we'd likely still want HTTP
cookies for storing non-sensitive data over long periods of time.
b...@iguanasuicide.net                   ((_/)o o(\_))