peasth...@shaw.ca wrote:
> Conversely, I'd rather that a change of dimensions of the browser
> window on one screen wouldn't change the browser on the other
> screen.

Uhm...  Suddenly reading you saying this confuses me immensely!  We
are talking about VNC sharing a *single* screen.  So isn't it the
exact *same browser* on the exact *same screen*?  Changing it on one
screen will change it on the other too since there is only one browser
window being changed, right?  What did I miss?

> For that I'll need to use xrdb properly with screen specific
> parameters in .Xresources.  Documentation I've seen is skimpy.
> http://wiki.debian.org/TinyWM for example, puts the invocation of
> xrdb in /usr/bin/tinywm-session!  Certainly not good practice
> according to discusion here.

Sometimes what people do is to script the setting of some resources.

  $ xrdb -sym | grep -e DWIDTH -e DHEIGHT
  -DWIDTH=3200
  -DHEIGHT=1200
  ... I have two 1600x1200 monitors side by side. ...

Then something like this can be done.

  if [ X$(xrdb -sym | awk -F= '/DWIDTH/{print$NF}') = X3200 ]; then
    xrdb -load .Xresources.big
  else
    xrdb -load .Xresources.small
  fi