Thanks Pablo, I'll try that if I can't get it to work through samba.

Problem seems to be with the config file not picking up the printing
declaration. I have restarted samba after editting the file.

Testparm gives me the following
[global]
    workgroup = ETHICSGRADIENT
    server string = %h server
    interfaces = lo, eth0
    obey pam restrictions = Yes
    pam password change = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    unix password sync = Yes
    syslog = 0
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    printcap name = cups
    dns proxy = No
    wins support = Yes

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    valid users = %S
    create mask = 0700
    directory mask = 0700
    browseable = No

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    create mask = 0700
    guest ok = Yes
    printable = Yes
    use client driver = Yes
    browseable = No

[print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/printers

but if you actually look at the config file;
 Hawaiian:/etc/samba# grep = smb.conf | grep -v \# | grep -v \;
   workgroup = EthicsGradient
   server string = %h server
   wins support = yes
   dns proxy = no
   interfaces = lo eth0
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 5000
   syslog = 0
security = user
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   unix password sync = yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:*
%n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
   pam password change = yes
 load printers = yes
   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   read only = yes
   create mask = 0700
   directory mask = 0700
   valid users = %S
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   read only = yes
   writeable = no
   create mask = 0700
   useclient driver = yes
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   browseable = yes
   read only = yes
   guest ok = no

printing and load printers are clearly defined. Bit confused so could do
with some advice on this?
Thanks,
Jim