On Thursday 24 February 2011 00:56:55 jida...@jidanni.org wrote:
> OK, since nobody knows, then what does recovery mode,

Oh, I'm betting someone knows and they either didn't get your message (because
they aren't on the list) or didn't reply (because they didin't want to spend
their time that way).

> /boot/grub/grub.cfg:
> menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.37-1-686 (recovery mode)'
>
> do to the terminal in order to enable interaction after one enters the
> root passwd?

It doesn't do anything special.  /sbin/init runs /sbin/sulogin (which may or
may not prompt for a pasword) on that vt.  It does this because the "single"
kernel command-line argument included in that menu entry has init start in the
"S" runlevel.

I'm not sure that /etc/rc.local is run with a controlling terminal.  Sure,
it's output appears on the console, but that can certainly be done without
having a controlling terminal.  If is doesn't have a controlling terminal, it
is likely difficult to impossible to has it receive Ctrl+C, since some program
attached to the terminal will swallow the key event (possibly, but not
necessarily sending SIGINT to selected children as it does).
b...@iguanasuicide.net                  ((_/)o o(\_))