On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 12:32:53 +0000, Lisi wrote:

> On Thursday 24 February 2011 15:05:19 Camaleón wrote:

>> And that's exactly what I wanted to express.
>>
>> > What I think is that Camaléon in not a native English speaker and so
>> > we have a moral obligation to (i.e. we *should*) forgive her for
>> > making that mistake.
>>
>> Okay, no problem, you can blame me here.
>>
>> But don't forget that one word can have many definitions ("you should
>> update your knowledge on this matter but you are not forced to do it").
>>

> Sorry, Camaleón, but I do not eccept, certainly in en-gb that should,
> even in the negative, can bear this interpretation.

And it's fine you interpret whatever you want, it happens many times on
written communication. If in doubt, *ask* for an explanation on the
meaning of the "supposedly offending words" and I'll try to expand it.

> I agree that "Camaléon is not a native English speaker and so we have a
> moral obligation to (i.e. we *should*) forgive her for making that
> mistake". And that was my reaction and what I did.  But it is still in
> fact a mistake, if that is what you meant. And somewhat ungracious and
> ungrateful to Christian, if used by a native speaker.

I'm afraid you are taking the bad definition for my "should":

http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0768280#m_en_gb0768280

You *wrongly* picked my words like meaning "1" (in its first acception),
but that was just your *free* interpretation of them (and I still fail to
see why you think I can see any "obligation" over D-M developer for doing
"anything").

I know I do make many mistakes when I write and express in English but I
don't think this is the case.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón