On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 20:49, Bill Moseley wrote:
> I'm curious why I'm getting so many of these viruses sent to me.

Because billg and his minions are Evil, focusing on money to the
detriment of technical competence.

With their lock on OEMs, if MS had focused even a little bit on
security, Linux would still be a hobbyist toy.

> various technical lists I've read of lots of people that are getting
> hammered by the mail, too.
>
> >From the descriptions I've read of W32/[EMAIL PROTECTED] it mails itself to
> "recipients extracted from the victim machine", yet I'm seeing so many
> of these to my personal email address alone that I can't believe my
> address is listed on that many machines.  Today I got about 300 alone
> send to just one address.  Other's I've talked with about this (non-geek
> internet users) are not seeing so much of the virus, if at all.

My wife hasn't gotten any, but then, she's not on any mailing lists.

Here spam count has risen recently, though, from 0 to noticeable.

> The viruses are all coming from Windows machines, right?  It just seems
> odd that my address would be on that many (cluelessly-run)  Windows
> machines considering what lists I'm on.

So where else would it come from?

> I'm also not on IRC or any of the other ways for it to spread.

Neither am I, and have gotten about 400 over 2 days.

> Anyone getting hit hard by this and understand why?
>

> --
> Bill Moseley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ron Johnson, Jr. [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Jefferson, LA USA

"Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety." or
something like that
Ben Franklin, maybe