On 03/06/2011 01:05 AM, Joel Roth wrote:
Hi,

I installed kvm-qemu and enabled virtualization in BIOS.

Now, I have a Windows partition I'd like to fiddle.
It was produced thusly:

     dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=windows_partition

Entering this command

     qemu --enable-kvm windows_partition

opens a black window with the "booting" message.

Of course, it needs a boot loader. I tried this:

     grub-install windows_partition

But this fails with:

     Format of install_device not recognized.

     INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename.

Can someone suggest or point a reference to help me
create a bootable partition?

A LILO solution would be okay, too.

Thanks!

A message I wrote in reply to a question on the Kubuntu list may be of some help. The message is called "Install Win98 on /dev/sda4" and does not actually install Windows to /dev/sda4, but to /sdb1. And it's XP, not 98. Anyway, since it is frowned on to cross-post, I will tell you that the message was posted 03/06/2011 at 12:28 AM, so you can look for it there. (The earlier post was by Jerry Lapham at 03/05/2011
at 8:14 PM.  He decided to use XP, which is what I had done.)

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A.
M. Greeley