On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 08:42:27 -0800, Toni S wrote:

> I have lenny running on a headless virtual server being hosted by a
> small hosting provider and now I'd like to upgrade to squeeze. The box
> does not serve any commercial purpose, but it does handle a portion of
> my private email traffic. So I'd like the system not being down for more
> than 12 hours.
>
> In case of any service failures after doing 'sudo aptitude safe-
> upgrade' I'd like to know some methods to smoothly revert to my current
> installation.

(...)

> What's your recommendation / experience for downgrade?

If disk space is not a concern, I'd go for a parallel installation. In
the event something goes wrong with the new install (or upgrade, if you
made a full image of the currently installed system), you only have to
boot with the old lenny install, which remains intact and ready to serve
you.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón