On 13 March 2011 02:28, Adrian Levi <adrian.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On the server to get key based auth working you must:
> 1)Have the correct permissions on .ssh/*

Permissions on all ~/.ssh are fine and correct at 0644

> 2) have your public key in authorized_keys

Both authorized_keys on the server and client have been deleted.
without anyting in the ~ ssh directorys it allows login via password.
As soon as key-gen -t rsa is performed on the client, the server
disallows login, unless ssh -o PreferredAuthentications=password -l
user server_address is used.

Is there another file the server may of stored the key in, which I'm unaware of?

> On the client you need to have your key decripted for use either by:
> 1) using agent
> 2) having an empty password string in your private key.

Empty password in the actual keyfile.

> 3) correct .ssh/* permissions.
>
> How many keys are in your server authorized_keys file? can you trim it
> down to just one for testing?

Its empty. (~/.ssh)

> What sort of changes have you made to the default sshd.conf file on
> the server and ssh.conf file on the client.

None, apart from diasallow root logins.