On Du, 13 mar 11, 19:30:30, Dan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using Ubuntu for a while for my desktop and I am planning
> to come back to Debian stable because there is now a two-year release
> cycle which is more reasonable.

Debian does not have a fixed release cycle, and probably never will.
Maybe a fixed freeze cycle, but this is still not decided. OTOH the last
three releases (etch, lenny and squeeze) were approximately 2 years
apart, are you talking about sarge?

> My worried is related with the security of the browser. The Ubuntu
> approach is to use the latest version of mozilla or the chromium
> project.
>
> The Debian approach is to freeze the version and apply themselves the
> patches. In my opinion this is worse because the mozilla/chromium
> project should know better the problems/security issues related with
> their browsers right?
>
> Can I consider these frozen versions secure enough.
>
> How secure is the chromium browser in Debian? It is an and old release the 6.

You seem to assume Debian Developers will write the security patches
themselves. AFAIK patches are mostly backported and chromium might be
updated since it is a leaf package. The Release Notes for squeeze have
more info.

Regards,
Andrei