On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Marvin Renich <m...@renich.org> wrote:

> * Peter Rapisarda <peter.rapisa...@gmail.com> [110401 10:38]:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am a student who is just learning LINUX for the first time so I
> basically
> > have NO idea what I'm doing so please be patient with me.  In an
> attempted
> > to complement my studying I decided to resurrect an old laptop which is a
> > Dell Inspiron 2200 with a Intel Celeron M processor.  The hard drive had
> > gone bad so I replaced it and purched a verison of debian off of
> OSDisc.com
> > and used that to install debian on my "new" system.  Everything works
> great
> > except when I start up the computer i get a message that says:
> >
> > Time-of-day not set - please run SETUP program
> > WARNING: The battery cannot be identified.
> > This system will be unable to charge this battery...
>
> [snip]

> This should not have anything to do with the operating system installed.
> Try shutting down the laptop, leaving the battery in and the power cord
> plugged in.  If the battery has not gone bad, this should recharge the
> battery in a few hours.  Then, unplug the power cord and turn on the
> laptop.  If it doesn't come on at all, you need a new battery; this is
> what I suspect from your description.  If the computer comes on, but
> Linux does not run properly, post back with details, e.g. the
> power-on-self-test (POST) runs normally, but it cannot find a bootable
> disk.

To add to Marvin's reply, a lot of Dell laptops have the battery indicator
light flash orange/red in some repetitive fashion if the battery falls below
a certain level/ability to hold a charge - it's somewhere around 35% of the
original battery charging capacity.  So if you see the constantly blinking
light on your laptop, your battery is kaput.

Mark