On 4 April 2011 06:17, Ron Johnson <ron.l.john...@cox.net> wrote:

> On 04/03/2011 02:54 PM, David Jardine wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 03:08:55PM -0400, Doug wrote:
>>

>>> This is grossly off topic, but since it's here, i _must_ answer:
>>>
>>> Thank God there is no "English Academy."
>>>

>> As a native English speaker I entirely agree, but I can understand the
>> frustrations of others who are effectively forced to use our language as
>> a lingua franca and cannot find a single, stable definition of it.
>>

> Kinda like Spanish...
>

>                                            In France, their Academy
>>> has the force and power
>>> of law.  It is _illegal_ to name anything public in English.  If you
>>> have a store and call it by an English
>>> name you will be forced to change it to something French.  The only
>>> exception I have heard of
>>> is "Le Drugstore."  I don't know how they get away with it.
>>>

>> What populist propaganda have you been reading?  How do they say
>> "Disneyland" in French?
>>

> Terre de Disney?
> Terre de Souris?

I don't think they have, 'Disneyland'.

>>  If English, either British or American, had such an academy, we
>>> would still be speaking the
>>> language of Henry VIII!  And we would never have had the opportunity
>>> to get rid of the French
>>> spelling of things like "centre."
>>>

>> ... or "table" ?  Come on!  A nationalistic dictionary compiler (anti-
>> British
>>

> Webster completed his /American Dictionary/ while at U. Cambridge. Would an
> anti-Brit really go to England to do his work?

To study the enemy and sow dissension.

>         rather than anti-French) caught the mood of the times and you all
>> lapped it up.
>>

> That can only happen when there's no canon. spelling is in flux.

You don't even use capital letters at the beginning of sentences any more.

>               I don't know if England had its own xenophobic equivalents,
>> but I think the English would be less likely to accept changes of spelling
>> decreed from above.
>>

> Above?  Webster didn't get his dictionary mandated by the government.
>
> Anyway, two words: Samuel Johnson.

He just cleaned up the mess that the French, Germans and Romans had made of
the language.

>  The French may hate everything English, but those of us who speak
>>> any variety of English
>>> appreciate its variety, and we wouldn't have it any other way.
>>>

>> But is it _our_ language any more?
>>

> Not after you beggared yourself after the two World Wars.

That wouldn't have mattered if you lot hadn't stolen America from us.
Regards,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.