On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 9:18 PM, Tom H <tomh0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Joel Rees <joel.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 7:58 PM, Tom H <tomh0...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 3:02 AM, Joel Rees <joel.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> The grub2 developers decided that most people wouldn't want to set up
>>> chainloads and would want update-grub to add all the available
>>> installs to grub.cfg to be directly bootable.
>>
>> That's kind of the way it looks, which is kind of shocking to me.
>
> If I were to hazard an estimate, I'd say that you're in a very small minority.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that I don't care if I am in the
minority. Proper engineering principles are proper engineering
principles.

>>> You can update "/boot/grub/device.map" with grub-mkdevicemap.
>>
>> Would that have some advantage over simply doing a re- grub-install ?
>
> Just doing what's needed - recreating device.map - rather than
> re-populating the entirety of "/boot/grub/" etc.

Even the official grub manual indicates that the device map is to be
taken with a grain of salt. If I read the manual right, device.map is
an intermediate guess and may not even accurately reflect what
actually got written to grub.cfg or to the boot sectors.

>>> Renaming 30_os-prober's a good solution too, although it doesn't solve
>>> the BFO problem without some intervention form your side but nothing
>>> else does.
>>
>> Short of moving Debian off the first drive. Although the tutorial I
>> linked to above suggests that grub2 doesn't like to be called from
>> legacy grub.
>
> Strange tutorial. Claiming that "grub2 doesn't like to be called from
> legacy grub" doesn't make any sense.

Didn't make any sense to me, either. But the official manual seems to
say similar things, and my experience over the last 5 days learning
more about grub than I wanted, well, I'm not going to argue with them.

Fedora's legacy grub had similar problems to Debian's grub2 when it
came to finding something to boot on the 3rd drive. I got a message
about trying to access boot code beyond the BIOS limits at one point.
The controller card is a cheap raid card that I decided not to hang a
raid off of. (Maybe I should go master/slave on the first channel
instead of trying to use the second channel.)

> This is the default behavior when
> you upgrade from grub1 to grub2.

Never had that experience of upgrading, but how so?

> Do you mean calling grub1 from grub2? (The latter's not my experience
> either - but "it works for me" isn't really proof of anything.)

If you know the incantations to get grub2 to chain to legacy grub,
could I ask you to post how you did it?

Joel Rees