Actually, if a new user reads the contents of debian-reference before
doing much else with Debian they'll solve that problem.  The problem
behind that is that debian-reference doesn't install by default on
systems.  A question like "Are you new to Linux (y/n)? in the install
script might not only install that package by default but also configure
boot up sequence such that once all was finished booting the user would
land inside the debian-reference application.  I can't really predict
what amount of pain would be reduced by such steps so am not
recommending them unless testing gets done with a significant sample
size of users new to Linux first.  If follow up study shows these users
progress faster on their learning curves, then I'd recommend making
these modifications.  The bsd system has a learn utility that teaches
several topics once set up correctly using computer-assisted instruction
and if that were ever successfully ported to Linux (maybe some on this
list remember using it), that might also be a good utility to use to get
more knowledge in areas where debian-reference is missing or goes
lightly through.  I know I certainly got lots from it back in late '80's
and it's command line too.