On 19 April 2011 19:45, prad <p...@towardsfreedom.com> wrote:
> we are thinking of redoing our existing servers and workstations in
> june. our servers is low volume and run out of our home via cable.
>
> right now the servers are running freebsd and our personal machines use
> arch linux, but we'd like to unify everything onto debian because
> a) we've liked it in the past
> b) we like the social contract
> c) we appreciate the no-nonsense attitude about 'free'

++ to these. They don't get enough credit for being as important as
they are, IMHO.

> we are contemplating the fs to use:
> ext4 (which we've used for a couple of years)

Yes, this. Regardless of length of experience with it, I suggest
having a good read through the entirety of
http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/ext4.txt to check
the data integrity options.  IIRC they differ from ext3 in places.

> zfs (we've heard this is really good)

It is nice - the iSCSI is especially useful, IME - but requires a
separation of your storage systems from your non-storage (e.g. web,
DB, etc) systems if you require Linux environments for that second
group.

Also, unless you go the NFS route, you'll need to layer a Linux FS on
top of the exported ZFS block devices /anyway/, so you'd still need to
choose which FS to use.

FWIW, I'm finding ZFS-on-opensolaris/nextenta => iSCSI =>
ext4-under-KVM to be a decent solution. YMMV.

> btrfs (ditto - though it's still 'new' and 'lacking' features)

Nope. Not production ready.

Cheers,
Jonathan
--