Good evening,

I do mean this earnestly and, despite my frustration, I am not trying
to flame the good people of Debian, GNU or Linux.  Nevertheless, I
have to ask: why is it that in 2011, the world's greatest operating
system lets Eclipse seize control of my computer, eat up 2 GB of RAM,
monopolise a 2.2 GHz, dual-core processor and flood my hard drive with
I/O?  I thought that a computer capable of processing over 4 billion
operations a second could sort itself out in 20 minutes but, alas, I
had to yank the power.

I thought the Linux kernel was supposed to have controls in place to
prevent programs from getting away with this.  Of course, the problems
inherent in Java, and by extension, Eclipse, are a whole other topic.
However, is there a kernel task force working to prevent this from
happening and, if so, what's the best way of giving them feedback when
my system locks up so they can plug up the hole?  I hate to think what
a malicious program could do to a web server if Eclipse can do this to
my computer.

With thanks,

Borden Rhodes