Hi,

I just customized /etc/init.d/skeleton for a little server application of mine,
thanks for the great example script.

I needed to customize the script to run the application, which acts like a
foreground application, in background via '-c --background --make-pidfile'. The
manpage says this is a last resort option but doesn't explain what the downside
of this is. I wonder, why should I add code for this to the application if it
can be handled externally without the application having to care about it?

Also, I wondered, isn't it quite common in general to customize the matching
options to 'start-stop-daemon' and wouldn't it make sense to externalize these
to the upper part of the script (which would also allow to add additional
options to start-stop-daemon), like:

START_STOP_DAEMON_ARGS="--name $NAME --pidfile $PIDFILE --exec $DAEMON"

(btw, I wrote a little blog post about my use case, running Java/OSGi server
applications via /etc/init.d/ on Linux,
http://www.ralfebert.de/blog/osgi/debian_initd_daemon/ )

Greetings,

Ralf