On 24 Apr 2011, shawn wilson wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 5:49 AM, Anthony Campbell <a...@acampbell.org.uk>
> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, Camaleon. I found a lot of people using the same laptop with
> > Windows who have the same problem. In some cases a bios upgrade fixed
> > it, in others not. I tried to do this but it requires using an .exe
> > file, and though I could do this with both wine and dosemu I couldn't
> > obtain a suitable iso file to do the upgrade. (Also, I was a little
> > afraid of ending up with an unbootable machine, which a few people
> > report as happening.)
> >

> don't run an exe bios upgrade inside of wine, dosemu, or any other vm.
> you might be able to extract the exe and find some binary file and
> then there might be some sort of linux utility to write that. however,
> when you upgrade a bios, don't do anything weird because the only way
> (that i know of) to test it is to reboot. well, if something isn't
> written correctly and you try to reboot, you'll know because the
> machine won't post.
>
> at that point there are three choices: replace the machine, replace
> the bios (might require soldering / desoldering), or rewriting the
> firmware onto the bios (might not be possible depending on whether you
> can find schematics for a writer for that type of chip and software).
> most people (including me) shed a tear and go shopping for a new
> computer at this point.
>
> though, if your laptop is under warranty, you could call them and make
> sure they'll replace the board if it doesn't post, once you confirm
> they will, go and have fun :)

Thanks - this is pretty much what I thought myself. The laptop is out of
warranty so I think I shall soldier on trying to figure out how to make
it work by some combination of module loading, since sometimes that
succeeds. Failing that, I shall have to junk it.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - a...@acampbell.org.uk