On Apr 25, 2011, at 1:05 PM, Liam O'Toole wrote:

> On 2011-04-25, Camaleón <noela...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 20:33:45 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
>>
>>> On 2011-04-24, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> (...)

>>> --- SNIP ---
>>>
>>> I cannot provide you with a sample case to prove a negative! Instead I
>>> invite you to download the sample .jnlp file in the link I provided
>>> earlier and modify it to suit your LAN.
>>
>> Okay, I just have tried to create a JNLP file to launch the JAR file that
>> is stored on a samba share but I'm still facing the same problem that we
>> are encountering from the beginning: "smb://" protocol is not detected ;-(
>>
>> If I place the "test.jnlp" file locally it can be run (it fails because
>> it looks for a signature file that seems to be missed from the original
>> jar but anyway it recognizes the JAR and tries to launch it), but when I
>> put the same "test.jnlp" file over a samba share and run the app from a
>> linux client it does not work "(java.io.FileNotFoundException: smb:/host/
>> share/test.jnlp (No such file or directory)".
>>
>> Needless to say the same "test.jnlp" that is located on the network share
>> runs fine when it's launched from a windows client ;-(
>
> That's a pity. I suspect that smb:// it is not supported by Java
> because, like sftp://, it is not an official scheme[1].

I'm almost positive SMB is not supported by Java and it's Windows/DOS that
supports it when you're testing.  I found I can list a directory on an
unmounted SMB share from DOS with "dir \\server\\dirctory."

Also, if you go to Samba's website, somewhere on there is a CIFS jar that
provides SMB/CIFS for Java.  If it were already supported, I doubt they'd be
doing that.

Hal