On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 14:32:43 -0400 (EDT), Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2011-04-24 22:19 +0200, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> The same bug can be reproduced by using the following kernel boot parameter:
>>
>>    video=VGA-1:1024x768@87i

> Please add these findings to the bug report.

I will.  But I want to do some more experimenting first.
I rolled up my sleeves and dug in to the kernel source code today.
One thing I discovered is that the vertical refresh rate for an interlaced
mode needs to be specified as the full-frame rate, not the half-frame rate.
Therefore, the corrected version of the above video boot parameter is

   video=VGA-1:1024x768@43i

I tried that and got output for the first time.  But it was strange-looking
output.  Instead of the expected 128-column by 48-row frame buffer console
I got a 128-column by 24-row console, occupying the lower half of the screen
only.  Weird.  But at least I got output.  I'm digging deeper and deeper into
the source code.  Maybe I'll find something.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :