On 04/26/2011 11:17 AM, Anthony Campbell wrote:
On 26 Apr 2011, Wayne Topa wrote:

[snip]

My /etc/printcap only lists a non-existing dot matrix printer
and lpr works fine here.

Try this
~# which lpr
/usr/bin/lpr
~#dpkg -S /usr/bin/lpr
cups-client: /usr/bin/lpr

If cups-client is not shown then remove the lpr package and install
the cups-client package.

Don't know what else to suggest.

Wayne

REPLACE all mention of cups-client with cups-bsd above.

Perhaps not what the OP wanted, but I find Cups a nightmare and always
use magicfilter. Very easy to configure and always works for me, with at
least 5 different printers.

I to have an old testing partition that will not print with Cups. It hasn't for about 3 years now. I used magicfilter to get it working though.

When Cups works it is great, it is working now on 3 partitions now, stable, stable upgraded to wheezy and stable upgraded to sid. I also have the Magicfilter package for them, just in case. ;-)

Wayne