> On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 20:40:42 +0300 <ibo...@yahoo.gr> wrote:
> > On 04/27/2011 04:50 PM, Mike Viau wrote:
> >> Hi again
> >>
> >> I also installed an ubuntu on the same machine, the ubuntu works fine,
> >> the debian issue still remains. So, I started playing with editing grub
> >> commands.
> >>
> >> In the debian non-recovery mode I removed from the grub command
> >> linux /vmlinuz... root=... ro quiet
> >> the "quiet" part
> >>
> >> And then booting works fine. Does that make any sense?
> >>
> >> Vangelis
> >>
> >> PS In order to apply this change permanently I edited the
> >> /etc/default/grub from
> >> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
> >> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
> >>
> >> in the ubuntu (since it was the last to be installed)
> >>

> > Just a day or so ago I found a strange behaviour around kernel boot
> > parmeters in Debian as well.
> >
> > A little digression:
> >
> > I have two computers (1x home server& 1x notebook) both running Debian
> > Squeeze. One day I must have added panic=30 to both grub boot-loader
> > configs and ran the update-grub command after on both. My laptop was
> > restarted many times and booted flawlessly with the new change so I felt
> > comfortable with leaving the 'panic' parameter on the home server as well.
> > When I eventually got around to rebooting the server, it seemed that all of
> > a sudden the home server stopped booting completely and just hung without
> > any real kernel errors/messages being printed to the screen. Not initially
> > thinking about the kernel parameter change made, I ran e2fsck the linux
> > partitions, and even installed the 2.6.38-2 kernel from wheezy booting the
> > system with the recovery entries from the grub boot menu that did not
> > contain the panic option. Lastly I removed the panic=30 kernel parameter
> > all together from the grub configuration and the server started booting
> > again like normal.
> >

> > Conclusion:
> >
> > I came to learn about the 'panic' option after reading the
> > kernel-parameters.txt file from the Linux kernel documentation [1]. I see
> > that the quiet option is also a KNL (or kernel start-up parameter. I
> > figured these options should just work and well it seems it does on some
> > installations but not other :S
> >
> > That's weird I must admit... perhaps you could added the panic=30 parameter
> > to your boot entry as a test just to see if it hangs in the same place as
> > it did with the quiet parameter.
>
> Hi Mike
>
> I set GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="panic=30" or
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet panic=30" it boots just fine
>

> With GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet" it just hangs...

Hmm thanks for testing that. It's odd thought that you say 'quiet' works when
'panic=30' is placed after it. It doesn't really help explain what's going on
here, but you could call it a solution if the quiet parameter still works as
expected with the panic=30 trailing after it. You'll know its working because
your screen will have less messages on start up :)

FYI, I thought that the reason the system bootup was hanging was becuase of how
the scripts residing in initrd.img were designed to handle kernel parameters
passed by boot-loader. In particular I was looking at local-top being a
potential place of interest, but I found nothing online to support this :S

-M