Day before yesterday (26 apr 2011) I installed newly released software on my
wheezy computers on my home LAN. Yesterday, I woke up to find that none of
these computers could communicate with my router (a DLink DI-604, no longer
offered by DLink).
I established that it was not bad cables by swapping cables. Every cable worked
in some situation, but none worked when connected to the router. This has been
working since early 2005, through many software upgrades, but yesterday not so
great.

Strange part of the problem is that an Apple AirPort which was also connected
to the router for use by my daughter with her
Mac laptop continued to function through multiple cable changes and power
cyclings. But late afternoon, it also quit.

I had been having some paranoid fears about the DLink router over the last
month and decided to go out and buy a more modern
home grade router at Best Buy (brand name Netgear, the box said it worked with
Linux). I brought it home and more difficulties. These computers all have
wheezy installed using a business card CD of squeeze. To change / fix
/experiment with different software, I need a working Internet connection, but
I can't configure my new router because I can't ping it. But the Apple AirPort
seems to be happy with the new router without any configuration, so I try to
install Squeeze on one of my computers and just using whatever DHCP gets found
by the new router, or whatever resources the business-card CD can
access.

It works! My one computer gets loaded with Squeeze and allows me to log on to
my ISP's web mail access to my email account via Iceweasel browser. So I can
pester you wonderful people for help. My first issue is: I have done nothing
about NAT or
any sort of firewalling. Does the way I installed, using DHCP service from
somewhere (perhaps coded into the busiCard CD??)
Does that include firewalling by default? What do I have in the way of
protection? Any?

How do I discover what, exactly I have? Etc. How naked am I?

Paul E Condon
pecon...@mesanetworks.net