On 6 May 2011 06:08, Tom Furie <t...@furie.org.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 07:21:22PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> > On Thu, 05 May 2011 18:12:47 +0100, Andrew Wood wrote:
>
> > > For certain things like removing OpenOffice and replacing it with
> > > LibreOffice this approach works but is time consuming.  For other
> > > packages it just results in disaster, for example  Ive tried removing
> > > the empathy package and have inadvertently removed the entire OS.
> >
> > How is that? Empathy is just an IM client, it should be easily
> > removable :-?
>
> The problem here, I think, is that gnome-desktop-environment depends on
> empathy. As with many of these "all encomapssing" meta packages you are
> usually better off picking just the subset of packages that you actually
> want.

This is what I normally do, then use fluxbox or openbox for a smaller
installation.
Installing 'just what you want' drags in required dependencies but can lead,
sometimes, to a little instability I have found. Installing one or two other
related packages normally stabilises the situation though.
Regards,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.