Siard (shiems...@kpnplanet.nl on 2011-05-21 02:23 +0200):
> Op Fri, 20 May 2011 13:37 +0200, Arno Schuring wrote:
> > Siard (on 2011-05-19 19:48 +0200):
> > > I upgraded Squeeze to Wheezy.
> > > After logging out of X (no matter which desktop or window manager)
> > > the screen goes black, the monitor signal gets lost, its green
> > > light turns to yellow. The only way to get out of this situation
> > > is by pressing the reset button.
> >
> > What graphics card/video driver are you using?
> ATi 9500 / R300.
Ok. I'm using R9550 here, so same generation. I'm also running the same
software stack, except for xserver-xorg-video-radeon, which is from
experimental on my machine.

> > Does it also happen if you press ctrl-alt-f1 while logged in in X?
>
> No, and then from the console I can power off the machine normally.
That's weird. In that case, I think the problem is not with kernel
modesetting itself, but X somehow misbehaves when shutting down. Should
you be able to pin it down, you could file a bug against
xserver-xorg-video-radeon.

[..]
> Could you give the kernel command line options you have for your R300
> driver?
I'm not using any mode options myself, it's about a year ago that I
had such issues. You could try disabling modesetting completely, but
that's only a temporary solution:
radeon.modeset=0 -- or edit /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf

It appears I was wrong about the "vary per driver" part (that's
only true for modesetting itself).

video=DVI-I:1024x768@75

see http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/KernelModeSetting for more
info. Yes, it's for nouveau but they are the only ones that offer
documentation about modesetting for the KMS case. You can get your
connector names from dmesg (in my case, VGA and DVI-I):
$ dmesg | grep -A1 Connector

> > > Since mouse + keyboard did not work in X, I deleted /run, which
> > > fixed that. Could this have something to do with it?
> >
> > Not likely. Also, look in the archives for a better solution (it has
> > been posted somewhere in the last week), or search the Internet for
> > "AllowEmptyInput".
>
> Again, I did a new Wheezy install, it now includes the /run directory.
> xorg.conf did not exist in /etc/X11, so I created one with these
> contents:
Do you have unstable enabled, or only testing? I'm running Wheezy as
well (though not a new install), and the /run directory hasn't appeared
for me yet.

> Section "ServerFlags"
>      Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
>      Option "AllowEmptyInput" "False"
> EndSection
>
> But alas, still no working keyboard & mouse.
> They _did_ work after deleting /run.
Please try with AutoAddDevices set to true, since udev does correctly
recognize the devices. Assuming your mouse+keyboard are usb devices,
package to file a bug against is xserver-xorg-input-evdev. The problem
might be in udev or even initscripts, but it's safer to let the
maintainers figure out which package than guessing yourself.

Regards,
Arno