Chris Brennan writes:
On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Andrei Popescu <andreimpope...@gmail.com>
wrote:
On Ma, 31 mai 11, 09:50:48, Jeffrey B. Green wrote:

Sooooo, if anyone knows what going on here or whether this looks like
an official bug, then let me know.

This sounds like you might want to contact debian-admin ;)

I know. It's like you can never find a good admin around when you need one. [I'm somewhat emoticon ignorant and so will not attempt to insert the appropriate one here...just assume I'm giving a knowing smile...however not to assume that I indeed "know".]

The 404's you were getting, I got them as well on my Debian 6 VPS. No firewall
in place on he VPS
> (yet, as I am still setting it up) but every time I run an update, I
> see the 404's against s.d.o ... the VPS is IPv4 only but the hosting
> provider may be doing IPv6 w/o my knowledge.

It seems like it "should" be quickly solvable since the conversations are so short (20-22 packets) and that it works just fine for IPv4 but not IPv6. I'm just not knowledgeable enough about the protocol/processing followed here. [The dream is to have all revealed in /u/s/doc/whatever, e.g. aptitude in this case. But as always, code first, docs second, or possibly third, sometimes fourth, maybe...at times I'm thankful for what I do get. However, one's prerogative to grumble has a certain priority.]

For my case, the firewall really does appear to be innocent, though until the solution appears, it is not totally off the hook. Also, the behavior that it works okay (in the past) for awhile and then does not seems to indicate something transient or at least changing somehow.

-jeff