On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 09:29:31AM +0100, Lisi wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 June 2011 02:27:26 Bret Busby wrote:
> > First thing - I think that it would be a good idea for each version to
> > have its own mailing list,
>
> Please, no!  We can surely all benefit from the issues that people are
> having,
> even in versions which we are not using?  I know that I do.  And although I
> am currently using Lenny, I want to know about issues in Squeeze and Wheezy
> for when I upgrade.  Indeed, they can help me decide when to upgrade.
>
> Not to mention the fact that some of us for one reason or another are using
> an
> obsolute version (I had to recently for a course that I was doing.)  An e.g.
> Etch mailing list would have virtually no traffic, but by going to this more
> general list, I was able to get help.  And how many back mailing lists would
> you keep?  How far back would these separate lists go?  Woody?  Potato? the
> beginning?

Not to mention the test posts and subscription issues and the arduous and
redundant associated threads that would plague the newest list for at least
a year every alternate year.

And to which list would users post OT? They'd be forced to use
D-community-offtopic!

Moreover, to which would Ubuntu users post? They'd have to figure the
closest equivalent release.  But they might get frustrated and forgo
posting.

Wait a minute . . .

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody