On 09/06/11 13:46, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 06/07/2011 08:02 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> - install SMART utilities and run "smartctl -A /dev/<your drive> -- the
>> first line is usually the "raw read error" rate -- if the value (last
>> entry on the line) is anything except 0, that's the sign that your drive
>> is failing, if it's in the 1000s, failure is imminent, it's just that
>> your drive's internal software is hiding it from you - replace it!
>>

> Then why does smartctl give my disk a green light?
>
> http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson/smart_window.png

Is that a TravelStar?
Try running the extended tests and setting it for offline data
collection. I've got two "factory refurbished" ones that show 0 where
yours shows a scary 589825. That mine had to be refurbished means they
were sent back...and I've heard stories of hundreds sent back to the
factory when a rollout of Ipex boxes found 1 in 5 were dying during the
initial imaging.

What is the raw value for Reallocation for event count?

Cheers

--
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.
There must be some mistake.